- 1 small onion
- 8 cloves garlic
- 2 pounds ground chicken (1lb white/1lb dark)
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1/2 cup plain whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested (optional)
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme or za’atar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 tablespoon salt (kosher or sea salt)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- 12 (6-inch) whole wheat naan or pita bread rounds
- Toppings: 1 tomato (chopped/or sliced), 1 cucumber (sliced), Red onion thinly sliced, tzatziki, 1 lemon (cut into wedges), Harissa (optional if you like heat)
- In a food processor, pulse onion and garlic until pureed.
- In a large bowl, stir together onion puree, ground chicken, eggs, breadcrumbs, lemon (juice and zest), thyme or za’atar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Mix together until well combined.
- Form into a loaf or put in a meatloaf pan drizzled with olive oil or cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hr to 1hr 15 min and check to make sure internal temp has reach 160 degrees.
- Remove from oven and cover with foil for 15-20 minutes before serving. This will allow the gyros to set and cut into nice slices.
- Slice and serve on warmed pita bread topped with tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, tzatziki, and fresh-squeezed lemon juice (optional). Enjoy!